Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Africa days 7&8

Sorry for the lack of pictures in this post... I don't have a lot of pics for these days... I'm thinking that once i get done with the stories from Africa i'll do a picture post which is gonna be just pictures, all my favorites from everyones pictures. =]]

also, thanks for bearing with me, i realize it's been over 2 weeks since i last posted. I apologize for that! =D

Africa Day Seven::
Friday::

Friday was one of the slower days. It was our alst day going to all the different schools. it was our last day before we went to Gulu for a week-ish. But it was still fun. Throughout the week There had been a group of children that hung out outside our hotel. All of the children in this group were wearing bright yellow dresses or shirts. One of the little girls there was named Margaret. She latched on to me. We played together everyday and we just had a blast. Every single day she asked me to come to her orphanage and play games with the children there. I told her i didn't know if we were or not. Well, i think it was Thursday afternoon that Clarissa told me that the next school we were going to was called Saint Marys (i think...I'm really not 100% sure about it..) And that the orphanage was pretty close to our motel, like, right around the corner. I told Margaret and I asked her if that was where her school is. She said yes. And she got very excited that we were going to her school. She grabbed my hand, and wouldn't let go. It was so precious.
So Friday morning we went to the orphanage. All of the children were wearing yellow uniforms, but the orphanage was SO poor. There were holes in the walls. It was really sad. All of the children were crowded into the "great room" to listen to us. The words Great Room are in quotes because i don't believe that room really qualified as a great room. It was so shabby and really small. Not nearly large enough to hold as many children as it held. Andrea and I got very excited, because as we were getting ready to do our songs for them, Ivan walked in. We ran over and hugged him, I had no idea that he was staying at the orphanage. It was so fun. We made him help us with our songs and dances and he had a blast. After that we walked about half a mile to a big field, and there were SO many children there from different schools, some of the children that hung out outside our motel, it was pretty fun, but we only stayed for a few minutes, because we were supposedly going to another school. I say supposedly because after we got back to our hotel, the other school cancelled on us. So instead we walked 45 minutes to get to a resaraunt... the food was ok... but i think the walk was my favorite part... It was interesting to walk the whole way, rather than drive. I felt like i saw more of the people on those streets, because we had driven on the streets before, but walking was such a different experience.
Also, while at the resaraunt, i used a squatty potty for the very first time, haha that was quite an experience. haha.
When we were walking home it was a little scarier because it was dark. Each of the guys had to pair up with one or two girls and like, protect us. While we were walking home this guy on the street came at me making kissy faces and Parker was like, Back off Man. and he backed away laughing. it was, honestly, terrifying. but i survived. =]
We got home and talked about Saturday because we were leaving to go to Gulu for the Safari and just hanging out at this one school. Then we went to bed.

Africa Day Eight::
Saturday::

So, Saturday we woke up and got in our vans (we had two) and drove about 8 hours to Gulu. It was a pretty fun ride. Most people slept and I listened to music. One of my favorite things to do was when we'd stop on the side of the road and get food. They sold meat and bananas and other stuff. We got sodas and such things. It was a lot of fun. Quite an experience. On the way we went to see where Clarissa and Rodney stayed while they were living there. The house was beautiful. but there was this one house that was unfinished that looked like a stinking castle. It was crazy. =]]
After we got to the school where we were staying for a few nights, and got settled in we went to another school to look aroundand play with the children. They had a HUGE field at this school. Matt, Collin, Parker and I started kicking around a soccer ball (or a football as they call it) Then Phillip decided that we were gonna play a game of football (soccer). We were gonna try to do AfricansvsAmericans. haha. it was gonna be great, but no one else from our group wanted to play. So they gave us some of their people and we started a game. i didn't think i was gonna be able to play, being a girl and all i didn't think it would be right, or how it would be viewed in their culture, but Phillip said it was ok for me to. So i did. All of the boys on the other team thought it was really funny that i was going to play with them. I think they thought it would be easy to get the ball past me, because i'm a girl... but they underestimated me... They didn't know that i've played against my brother who is one of the best soccer players i know. Anyway, At first they were trying to get past me, but i kept stopping them, so they were trying to figure out how to get past me. They couldn't...i think that in the whole time i played (i played half the game) they got it past me maybe twice. the other two guys playing defense with me seemed a little surprised but they would tell me Good Job and such. Then when i went off, Phillip was laughing quietly to himself, he said "they are muttering about you in Acholi. They are mad that they couldn't get the ball past you." then he laughed some more. i laughed too and told him about my brother. =]] it was really funny.
We went back to the school where we stayed (only the girls, the boys stayed at another school about 15 minutes away) we had supper and it was SO good. I love the food there. I just want to clarify this:: The ONLY food i DIDN'T like was the Minnow meal. that's it. I loved all the other food.
We ate really late there. We ate at like, 9:30 and then we had share time and then the boys left. We went to sleep. This is the fun part. There were 15 girls and like....7 twin mattresses. Oh it was hilarious. We were very...uh cozy.
I woke up the next morning and lo and behold, right above my stinking face, spiders. I was sortof ok with it. but kindof not. I don't care what you say, spiders above your head are not fun. ever. Even if they are spiders in Africa.
That was the exciting part.
So the end.





And if any of you are wondering i'm getting to the story of little Evangeline Lamara. :) It happens on Sunday. I'm ending on Saturday. =]]

God Bless~~


Katelyn~~ <3

PS. Update on Jackie!!
Things are going well, She's only got 3 more weeks of Chemo. And the doctor said she's no longer classified as having AIDS but is now classified as HIV+. He said that once they kill the cancer, and if she continues taking her ARVs she will live a long and happy life! =]] thank you all for your prayers!! =]]
~Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment