Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Africa Days 5&6

Africa Day Five::
Wednesday::

When i woke up on Wednesday morning, I felt MUCH better. I had slept really good that night. One thing i failed to mention was that the malaria medicine i was taking gave me these crazy hallucinations. it was always the same and it happened most every night. The hallucination was as follows:: I'm laying in bed (it always happened at night) and I look above me, on this shelf just below the ceiling are children. All of them staring at me. I know they're dead...i don't know how i know. I just know that they're dead. They just stare at me. I looked over at the window and they were walking in the window... It scared me. The first night when i had it i didn't know what it was... It was our very first night in Africa and I was rooming with Andrea. I remember her looking at me and i said "do you see the children" and she said no and rolled over and went back to sleep. It was so scary. Anyway... that night i didn't have the hallucinations.So i woke up feeling very refreshed...
The first school we went to was called Creamhill. It was the nicest school we visited. The children had these color coordinated shirts (red, blue, yellow, or green) and they were lined up according to their shirt color. one of the things i remember about Creamhill was this one little girl i saw. She was doing the "pee pee dance" It was sortof sad because she was standing in the middle of the line of red shirts and she started dancing around. and then she just peed on herself. and after that she just went on singing as if nothing had happened. I'm pretty sure i'm the only one that saw her because when i said something about it to Kayla, she didn't see.. she was super precious and after the singing time, we were just playing with the kids and this one little boy who was scared of everyone except me was sitting with me. The peepee girl came and sat next to me. And honestly... thinking back i'm like wow. that's a little gross. she had pee on her. but at the time, in that place, i didn't think about the fact that she had peed on herself. I just saw her as a little girl that needed to be loved. That's one of the things i loved so much about being there... You don't care that they have snot running down their face, or that they just peed in their pants. you just want to love them.
The little boy that was sitting with me was so precious. He was terrified of everyone else. but for some reason he liked me. I was the only one he wouldn't cry around. And if anyone else came near him he started crying and hid behind me.
Right as we were leaving the teachers decided they wanted me to take pictures of them. so i took several pictures. And as we were leaving all the children climbed on the gate and were sticking their hands through the bars
After we were done at the Creamhill Kindergarten (3-6) we walked down the road a ways to the Creamhill Primary (ages 6-13). They were color coordinated as well. i was really starting to feel pretty sick again. i think it was the walking and the heat and still trying to get over being sick the day before. But, of course, i still played with the children! I didn't do the dancing that my group does. The only one i did was "together" because they needed my name for it. haha. And i helped with the Stomp. but then i sat. The children did a few skits and songs for us. it was absolutely adorable! Then they did this::
Headmaster/teachers: "God is good"
Children: "All the time"
Headmaster/teachers: "All the time""
Children: "God is good. 'Cause that is His Nature. Wow."
It was so absolutely adorable. The whole team started saying that by the end of that day. I just loved it.
After we were done working and playing with the children it was lunch time. And this, my dear readers, is where it gets a little crazy. haha.We had lunch at Creamhill instead of going back to Cari's. First, i just want to say that they give us huge portions in Africa. No matter where we went, i always felt terrible because i COULDN'T eat what they gave us. They just gave me too much food. But i really did love the food there. Except for at Creamhill. What they gave us was Posho (probably spelled that wrong)...it's a bland, pasty food that fills you up really fast. Beans. and Minnow. I kid you not. Minnows. whole little silverfish heads and all. It was insane. and we HAD to eat it because otherwise it would be an insult to the school and it would reflect badly on Cari and Annette and Charles. So we did indeed eat it. It was craaaaazy. it was almost worse, because i felt sooooo sick.... it was just basically insane. Umm, yes. it was lots of....fun. T.I.A. baby (This Is Africa)
We went back home to have some chill time. I mean the motel, not home. but it did become like home to me... Honestly. It was home... I can't even lie. When we went to Gulu and then back to the hotel i just felt like i was coming home.
Anyway, i stayed home with Luke, Shannon, and Lacey because none of us felt good. It was fun. Shannon slept and Lacey, Luke and I hung out in my room. Just being silly and talking about our favorite parts so far. It was so much fun. The school we missed was Kampala Hill, which we went back to the next day to play with the younger children. When the group went and i didn't, They were with 13-19 year olds. When we went back the next day it was with 6-13 year olds.
The end for Wednesday. =]

What the children are saying is: The Farmers Hen has laid an egg.

Africa Day Six::

Thursday::

So thursday, Parker and I woke up extra early (ok, not really. About 30 minutes before everyone else) and we went to Cari's school. When Cari came to pick us up she had a little girl with her. She told us that the little girl was named Jackie. (see last post for her story.) Teaching at Cari's was lots of fun! There were 8 students: Klovis, Aurthur, Bashir, Vanessa, Doreen, Zion, Herbert, and Jackie. What they're drinking is sort of like porridge. It tastes like oatmeal and its really smooth like a smoothie. it was totally weird and yes, i drank it. all of it. from what others were saying i was expecting something way worse. honestly, the porridge wasn't THAT bad. just weird. Parker was very nice and said that we weren't hungry, but i decided that i was gonna try this porridge thing... and i did. ha. =P
We had lunch at the hotel instead of at Cari's. and then we got to just chill for a little while. Then we went to Kampala Hill for the primary students. It was a lot of fun. We did the Fruit of the spirit song, and for one of the verses you're supposed to have a partner, well we had an odd number of people, so i pulled a kid out of the group and he was my partner. it was great fun! then we played a few games, it was funny there was one little kid that was smaller than all the others, and who did she get attached to? that's right. Moi. =] so we walked around for a bit, and came upon a circle of children. they were playing a game. I couldn't really understand what they were saying, but i figured out that it was a sortof Cinderella game where someone would walk around the circle and pick out their prince or princess. and then the two of them walk around the circle a few times and then the person that was choosing slips back into the group and the other picks out their prince or princess. and so it went. it was lots of fun! anytime someone would get picked everyone would go "OOOOH WOO" and just laugh. Well, one of the boys picked Andrea and everyone thought it was just hilarious. Then a few turns went by and one of the older boys picked me. Everyone laughed hystarically. It was so much fun. The game ended after a few more turns, but i had such fun playing it.
After we left we went to save the street child, it was our last time to go before we went to Gulu. It was pretty sad for everyone. They kids had taught some of us dances (by some of us, i mean those that weren't sick and actually went!) and they did it. I sat with kids all around me and on top of me and it was a lot of fun!
Afterword we started talking about sponsering a child. Andrea and i are now sponsering Ivan. He's awesome. He's 12 years old. and He's now living at Save the Street Child (SSC) and going to a great school! it's so much fun! we told him that since we are sponsering him, it's like we are his sisters. and we told him that because we're his sisters all of our brothers and sisters are also his brothers and sisters. So he now has 18 brothers and sisters! (8 from my family and 10 from Andreas) His eyes got REALLY wide and he said "Really? no way..." and he just smiled and that boy has the BEST smile in the whole wide world.
We went home after SSC and just chilled and ate...and didn't really sleep. I think i was rooming with Shelby...and we had a BLAST! because shelby and i are the same person. ahaha. it was so much fun! =]
So, the end for now. i'll try to be a little faster with this update thing. but lemme just tell ya. It's a lot of work to get this thing up!!! hahaha.

~Katelyn~

I honestly cannot wait for the update about my lil girl. I'm gonna copy my journal entry from that night, so you'll get the raw emotions i felt after that first day with her. I love her so much. and I cannot wait to get back to her.
Just look at her. =] she's beautiful. =[ i miss her so much. remember to keep her in your prayers always.

No comments:

Post a Comment